January 9, 2010

{Urban Owl Decor}


Chili Originally uploaded by {me}longings
I'm lucky to live 10 feet from a Barred Owl family nest. I've captured numerous photos of their lives over the past two years and when they appear, I'm still surprised to see them. Barred owls have adapted to living in urban environments amongst the old growth oak trees in the Carolinas. They are fascinating and fearless, and have become my muse as I search for modern and natural home accents.
I've recently finished, what I call the "reclaimed wood floating shelves" project. And because the shelves are floating, I've been searching for bookends and objects to keep the books from spilling off the ends of the shelves. It seems like a fine way to incorporate some owl decor into our home - an homage, of sorts to our barred owl neighbors. Here are a few of the owl items I've found.
Top left photoVivaTerra - Stone Owl Family
Top right photo: Matt Pugh Design – Wood Owls
Bottom left photo: World Market - Novica Mother Owl Sculpture
Bottom right photo: Etsy Seller AmradioCarved Vintage Owl

The vintage carved wood owl (bottom right) is my absolute favorite. I may have to buy it this weekend before it's sold on Etsy. 
Update on January 14.  I bought the vintage carved wood owl from Etsy seller AMRadio.  I received it today with a handwritten note of thanks from the seller. It's perfect and unique.  See photo below of my new owl in his new habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Have you read these posts?